Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Oh the adventures a storm can bring...

You see I didn't know a storm was headed our way when I put groucho down for his morning nap. Twenty minutes in and lightning hits right outside his window eliciting grand screams from a little man and a slightly freaked Momma running to his rescue. So I whisked him to the basement to play thinking all was well. Fifteen minutes later I noticed the fire truck, and the red tape tied to my fence, and the firemen staring at the wires connected to my house. FREAK OUT.

Come to find out the power pole near our house had been hit and was split. The power pole across from it had also gone down with a tree and was in fact resting on the nearby apartment complex. The firemen left shortly after the power company arrived and my Mom (whom I was currently having a meltdown on) assured me that we were in no imminent danger if they had left.

About the time I calmed down I received a phone call from my husband saying the tornado sirens were going off downtown and the worst of it should hit me in about 15 minutes. GREAT. I didn't have to wait 15 minutes, simply 5, the power company vanished and I was left alone in my basement. The only thing calming was the necessity of not alarming the small man at my feet. The cranky, napless small man. So we had a little picnic as we watched the storm ebb and flow, and get to that creepy still phase in the eye just before it gets really bad. I must admit, yesterday, any "love" I had for storms DIED. Now there wasn't much love to begin with. I know they can be beautiful, and bring needed rain...but I am one scaredy cat when it comes to lightning!!!!!!!!!! Once the storm died down the power company returned despite heavy rain to insure my safety and ongoing power consumption. I was most grateful. So as anyone does I made lemonade out of the lemons I had been given...I took pictures!The power company was there for about 8 hours working on removing the poles, repairing the lines, and putting in new poles. Aiden was thrilled to watch all the big trucks. Hey if you can't nap you might as well enjoy the show!



If you look closely you can see the telephone pole leaning on the apartment, and the crazy tenant standing outside tempting fate by being WAY too close to downed power lines. Some people have NO common sense. The splintered pole nearest us didn't photograph well.



I was "calmish" if only for him!



Aiden enjoying the show :)His window now needs a desperate cleaning from all the hand prints, kisses and smeared noses. It was well worth it!



The power was out so the pics were not all great, but I love this shaded profile of my beautiful sweet little boy.



Yes that is a power pole in the dumpster. Enough said, the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...