Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Free????? Or not so much...

UGH UGH UGH...

Last night was a bad night. A certain angelic someone decided not to sleep, again. To top it off the same someone woke up amazingly grumpy, surprise surprise. So lets just say my morning was not off to a great start when I opened up my bank account this morning. I don't do this as often as I should, but when you are broke beyond broke it becomes a more regular occurrence. Apparently it should be far more regular, UGH!

I had noticed a strange charge sometime last week and made a mental note (and possibly a lost post it somewhere) to speak with Shem about it. This morning I noticed another strange charge and a little red flag went up in my head. Ok fine, a BIG red flag. Looking back over the last six weeks there were 5 unauthorized charges. AAAAggghhh was my thought and not much else. So I immediately made a list, of which I am an expert.

After a phone call and email to Shem just to confirm they were in fact non wanted charges before I made an unnecessary scene, my list was complete and I was ready for battle. Now luckily all of the charges had friendly little 888 numbers and my Google searching told me these numbers often made bogus charges into friendly little unsuspecting accounts. Double UGH. Three of them were actually "cleared" up with one phone call, one number was bogus, and one... well lets just say they were not so kind. They wanted to give me no information regarding the "company" or charge, but requested way more personal information than I was willing to give.

I called my bank and spoke with a very great representative who took my research a little further and determined that our "free" credit check months back had in fact signed us up for countless unauthorized "memberships" into services we did not actually want. She, in fact, had apparently done the same thing herself which made me feel marginally better. So my dear husband is once again without a credit card as a new one will be issued and hopefully things will gradually clear up, and at least no more "membership" fees will be issued.

Lesson learned: Free isn't always free!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...