Tuesday, August 13, 2013

School: A Big Decision

Early in the summer I reflected on Aiden's first semester in the public school system, yet never posted it. As we look to the school year ahead it was a good reminder of where we have been.

June 2013

Aiden had his end of year program at school today. I was all kinds of excited and nervous, especially when I saw the program! It was longgggggg.

He walked in with his little class and his eyes were huge, I knew he was overwhelmed. I teared up watching him sing that first song with his friends. He has come so very far since he started in January. 

Then he got distracted and anxious. My heart hurt watching him crawl amongst all the other kids trying to hide. His sweet amazing teacher Mrs. Vida scooped him up and held him on the sidelines. She has done so much to calm my anxious heart as Aiden has journeyed through this semester. As he snuggled into her shoulder I knew she had done that for my sweet boy as well. I am so very grateful for the blessing his teachers have been. 

As we picnicked and played he quickly became less anxious. It was good to see him play with his friends, a reminder that while we still have a ways to go we have also made huge strides in the right direction!

August 2013

Fast forward a few months and things have changed so much in this little house. We started doing an alphabet unit study as "summer school" with Aiden. The unstructured days of life that Summer brought were not kind to us. We have long known that Aiden thrives on structure and routine. Some probably thought us crazy as we lived life "tied" to our schedule and often constricted by its boundaries. Was it a sacrifice? Sometimes. It was also a means of survival in those early years. We learned along the way what boundaries we could stretch and what would cause days or weeks of struggle in our home. We also learned that Mommy and Daddy did much better with a bit of routine as well!

Aiden has loved doing school with Mommy. He often looks up from his "work" and gives me the sweetest smile as he tells me "Is SO FUN!"


We had every intention of him returning to the public school system to continue his education and therapy in the fall. Yet God changed our hearts in a big way. With much prayer we have made the decision to keep our sweet boy home for school this coming year. We are open to whatever God leads us to do in the years to come but feel that this may be a long term decision. It is not what we had planned, yet this last year God has moved in our lives in ways we can't ignore. It has become clear that His plans are so much bigger than our own, and that often we must turn from what we thought was best and step into the plans He has for us. 



My floor often looks like crazy town after the kiddo's are in bed as I plan the next days and weeks of school. We finally chose "curriculum" and are happy with where we will be headed in the days ahead. We know it will be hard, and we have already felt some of the strain of this change.

Even on the hard days there has been so much joy and peace in trusting God and following His plan for us!


Oh and our sweet boy, he is thriving!!! Maybe I am crazy, but I don't know many three year olds who write their name with no help or prompting from Momma. He started, and I told him the next letters. I didn't think he would actually do it, I didn't know he could, he surprises me every day!

Sweet boy we are SO EXCITED about this next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...