If you know my son you know that he is full of energy, all boy, never still, and never quiet. I laugh along with you at his crazy antics and apologize if he bowls you over in his attempt to move through the room.
Yet you don't see the whole picture.
I posted several weeks ago about loving my children well. It is something I work on daily as we are currently in a very exhausting season of life. Yes I know I have a toddler and a newborn, anyone would be exhausted, but it's a little more than that.
Aiden has been diagnosed with SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder).
Wikepedia defines SPD as the following:
Sensory processing disorder or SPD is a neurological disorder causing difficulties with taking in, processing, and responding to sensory information about the environment and from within the own body (visual, auditory, tactile, olfaction, gustatory, vestibular, and proprioception).
In short Aiden has trouble processing aspects of the 7 senses. We have struggled with things like sleep, eating, noise, and energy levels to varying degrees over the last two and a half years. Things you may have seen, and things you haven't.
- Inability to go to sleep or be comforted without "violent" bouncing
- Many wakings throughout the night without the ability to soothe himself to sleep
- Extreme reactions to coughing, sneezing, snoring and other loud noises
- Screaming if the sun shines on his face
- Inability to function well in new or different environments
- Variance from normal routine causes confusion and irritability
- 7 Sippy cups attempted before one was found he was capable of sucking from
- Aversions to new textures, shapes, colors, and presentations of food
- Inability to eat many new foods without gagging
- Licking random objects
- Exposure to television makes him CRAZY
- Loud rough play
- No understanding of others personal space
- Desire to have toys on a flat surface
- Banging things together
- Running into walls, furniture, or toys without notice
- One volume in speech and play: LOUD
- Screaming, and lots of it
- Running, spinning, jumping, and bouncing excessively
- Inability to be gentle (except amazingly with Emma Grace!)
Those are a few of his "symptoms" while not an exhaustive list. While he has "adapted" or seemingly outgrown many of these things others are a daily struggle. Before we were officially diagnosed I had done a good bit of research on SPD and begun to adapt some of our parenting moves accordingly. While we are disobedient as all two year olds are, we also have many "sensory meltdowns" that simply can't be handled in the same way with any beneficial result. In careful observation I have begun to decipher the difference and have responded to him based on the issue at hand and am amazed at the difference in his response as well.
We will begin occupational therapy as soon as our report has been filed. It will be a learning process as we as parents learn how to love him well, parent him well, and help him accommodate his sensory needs. He has adapted and overcome so many of them already that I am hopeful that understanding what and how he is processing things will help us to live life more fully in this little house.
To those of you who have played "up down," have been tackled by my crazy monkey, listened to the shrill scream, looked the other way when I fed him something different and in all other manners loved my little guy well THANK YOU.To those of you who have researched, advised, and wondered with me I LOVE YOU. You have no idea how it warms this Momma's heart to see him make a new friend. I know our parenting will come under judgement by those who don't understand, and some will simply think we have an unruly kid. I know the truth, and I will do my best to handle every instance with grace and wisdom while loving and parenting my sweet son in the best possible way.
One crazy minute at a time!

Love ya, mama. <3
ReplyDelete