Excuse me as I get a bit melancholy and thoughtful.
I have been convicted as of late to pull back a bit from social media. While there have been seasons in my life that it has truly been a blessing to use as a means of staying connected when I wasn't able to be present (in CT, and after Emma Grace's birth) it can also be a source of stress. This constant need to "check in" with the cyber world creates in my heart a sense of anxiety at times and also hinders me from being mentally present and active in real life. I can be an introvert and social media can be an excuse not to step outside my comfort zone and be present in the lives of those in community around me.
It also takes real time away from my kids.
They won't be little forever. This time is fleeting. Just spend a few minutes on fb and you will surely see stories of abuse, death, and heartache. It's sobering. I'm not guaranteed tomorrow with these sweet souls I have been entrusted with. Yet while they are here I have been given the incredible responsibility of shepherding their little hearts. Of sacrificing a bit of myself and pouring into them. I am grateful and overwhelmed.
I am especially aware of my time with Aiden. You've no doubt seen many mentions of abortion as of late. Sometimes I find myself in tears, so very grateful that she chose life. So very grateful that Aiden is here, and that I was given the joy of being his Momma. It's in those moments that I squeeze him a little tighter.
He's growing up and I'm trying to be present in the little moments. The ones where he squeezes my neck and showers me with kisses. The moments when he animatedly tells me half intelligible stories. Soon he won't have time.
So I'm making sure that I take time now.

No comments:
Post a Comment