Thursday, January 27, 2011

You should see the other guy...

Aiden has a tendency to bruise his forehead. He is a boy. All boy. By the time one bruise heals we have three more to replace it. Most of them appear without known cause, and by that I mean there was no screaming, so its apparent cause remains a mystery. It could have been when he was caught standing in his little chair, or perhaps climbing from his wagon to his firetruck and back, or maybe running away squealing and, oops he ran into the door. However, on the rare occasion that he has a dramatic day, then you might just be able to track said offender.

The other day was one of those days, drama at its best. He made every heartache very clearly, and very loudly known. Then came the "catastrophe," or the small head bang for the rest of us. He was happily playing and BUMP (all caps added to emphasize the horridness that it was) to which followed loud wailing and actual tears. Momma of course gently consoled him and gave all manner of cuddles and comfort. Hours later I almost wondered if he would have a miniature black eye, alas it cleared quickly. Immediately I was ready to post an imaginative tale of "you should see the other guy."



"The OTHER guy"

The more I thought about it, the more it bothered me. Why do we say that? Why is it that making someone else look bad somehow makes us feel better? Everyone knows that person who is always ragging on someone else, teasing, or belittling. No one likes to spend time with them because of how badly it makes them feel. Why do we think that making someone else look bad will make us look better? Guess what? It doesn't.

We are called to lift one another up, and to love as Christ loved. So next time the phrase "you should see the other guy" runs through my head I hope I am reminded of the ultimate love, and I hope I accurately portray it to those around me. For in the end what the "other guy" looks like is not what I will be held accountable for. It is the status of my own heart and life that will truly matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...