Monday, August 16, 2010

The continuing birth certificate saga...

Well, the saga continues.

We anxiously awaited Aiden's social for several months after his arrival before we began to wonder if something indeed had gone awry. So we contacted the birth mother to see if she in fact had received it by accident. IF a social was generated for our sweet boy it must be floating around in never never land as no one ever received it. Despite our attorney's best efforts it was eventually determined that there was no way that we would be able to obtain a social for Aiden until we had his physical amended birth certificate following our finalization in June.

So we filed for an extension on our taxes. It takes between 4 and 6 weeks following finalization to receive an amended birth certificate, normally. We have found that with adoption nothing is going to be normal. It is one of the joys, as well as one of the trials, that accompany adoption. So 6 weeks came and went and when we checked in on the status of his birth certificate we were told that there was a delay due to the vital statistics office moving. It was now taking around 3 months to receive amended birth certificates. YIKES.

So for months I have anxiously awaited the mail only to be disappointed day after day. The mail man must thing I am nuts as I run to the box shortly after he walks away and then dejectedly walk back into the house. Today we hit the 3 month mark after finalization, so of course, pro-active as I am, I began my day with an email to the attorney's office to obtain the number for the vital statistics office. The wonderful secretary who has done so much on our behalf over the last year and a half called me shortly after. It seems as if the two ladies that run the adoption department at the vital statistics office QUIT, I wish I knew where to reach them to express my deep appreciation!

So the office recommended that we go to Fed-Ex and overnight a request and explain the urgency of our need. If they receive an overnight request they are considering it a rush and COULD generate the birth certificate within the week. Let me tell you I forgot about this thing called lunch in my rush to the Fed-Ex office this afternoon. I used the fastest overnight option they had, every method of tracking available, included a return envelope, and will anxiously watch the website for the status. PLEASE PRAY WITH US that they receive it, process it, and swiftly get that sweet priceless piece of paper into our hands. Trust me you will hear me shout hallelujah when I finally have it in my hands. Oh, and the social security office will have me at their doors immediately following...possibly with cranky baby in hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...