Friday, July 13, 2012

Hard Decisions and Letting Go.

Parenting is full of hard decisions. When they are little you have to make them all. I often worry whether we are making the right choice.

I am sure it will only get harder as they grow older.

Today I met with Aiden's therapy coordinator so that we could add Occupational Therapy to his "plan" and begin working on the symptoms of his SPD (sensory processing disorder).

I had no idea what was in store.

In the state of Kentucky once you turn 3 therapy is conducted through the public school system. I knew that. I did NOT know that to receive more than just speech therapy he would HAVE to be enrolled full time in preschool. Based on which local school has an opening that could mean either a half day or a whole day at only 3 years old.

I spent the morning in tears.

We have debated whether home schooling was the right decision for our family. Realizing that Aiden beats to a bit of a different drum we were honestly more inclined to choose homeschooling so that he could receive the individualized attention he needed. We thought we had more time for this decision. In the end unless we can figure out how to pay for private therapy we will be left with only one option if he is to get the help that he needs.

Ultimately I want what is best for my son, obviously. Yet my heart breaks at the thought of sending him off for the day without Mommy. My sister sweetly reminded me that he really isn't a baby anymore, and I cried just a little bit more.

We have four months to tackle all the meetings, evaluations, and paperwork required to have him registered and accepted into the program before his 3rd birthday. According to our coordinator we need to make the decision now.

My baby is growing up, the decisions are getting harder, and I'm having to learn the art of letting go.

I am also having to learn to trust God in a whole new way. Trust him to give us the wisdom to make the best decision for our children. Trust him to take care of their future, after all he can do that better than we can.

Trust him with this Momma's anxious heart.


2 comments:

  1. I've been there Faith. My four year old doesn't speak and in Jan 2012 he was enrolled in the local public school. He attends 2 full days a week. Although it was/is hard on me...he loves it and is showing some improvement. What helped is getting that big smile when the school day is over, the cuddle time at home afterwards, and knowing that not only is he getting the help he needs but is having fun. If you ever want talk, I'm here. So much of what you post is all too familiar. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sweetie. Prayers and hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...