Monday, February 6, 2012

Cloth Diaper Making Part 2!

The diaper making got put on hold while we have been doing some major house work. Yet it is always in the back of my mind as I want so badly to work on them instead!

I figured it would be easier to sit at a sewing machine while huge than to work on house revamping. I think last night proved me wrong! Between finishing cutting out all of our newborn diapers and completing the pattern for our new one size pocket diaper I worked about 6 hours straight yesterday.

I also didn't sleep much last night due to intense back pain that didn't show up until I sat down. Oops!







It doesn't look like much for those of you who don't sew, but let me tell you drafting a pattern is no easy task. I actually bought one of the new Fuzzibunz with buttonhole elastic to see how they ran the elastic and attempt to mimic parts of it in my diaper design. I had only had my hands on the diaper for a few minutes before realizing I might have just gotten in over my head as it is a bit more complicated than I originally thought. Honestly had I seen the diaper before ordering my supplies I would have sweetly looked at my husband (the reason behind the new diapers) and said babe hand over the cash I don't want to do this.

Yet I am glad I did, as it has been a fun adventure. Hours of scheming has gotten me to what I feel is the perfect diaper, in theory. If it works I will have impressed even myself. If it doesn't I might just cry!

We did ultimately decide to order a few covers to use with the newborn diapers I am making, rather than making the covers ourselves. The double gusset elastic in the leg that saves so much mess with little bitty baby blowouts is more than I wanted to attempt. Since we only needed a few and it wouldn't save that much on that particular item we skipped the stress and hassle!

I think I am almost to the fun part...sewing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...