Every family LOVES different things about cloth. If you interview a dozen Moms who cloth diaper you will find different brand loyalties, that they love different styles, and that something different works for each family. Or for that matter each kid.
I discovered that there is no "perfect" diaper on the market. Not to say that what I have created is perfection for everyone, but for our family it is the best fit for our needs, right now. The funniest thing about this project was my husbands input, for he had almost as much to say about the matter as I did. Well at least in the beginning, after a dozen or so conversations lets just say he was tired of diaper talk!
In the end I drafted my own pattern. Then I drafted it again, and again. It was certainly the most difficult sewing project I have tackled to date and I must say that I impressed myself if not with my ingenuity at least with my stubbornness to see it through to the end. I can be very very motivated (or stubborn lol).
After what seemed like forever the final pattern was drafted, the fabric was cut, and my sweet sewing machine and I were able to play together!
Truly the hardest part of making the diaper (other than drafting the pattern) is threading the button hole leg elastic through the channel created for it. Patience is required!
The button hole system truly is my favorite part of this diaper design. I apologize that there is no way to get a good picture of how it works, a video maybe, but I am not that savvy as of yet. Our favorite part of the Softbums diaper we used with Aiden from the start of our cloth adventure was the great ability to adjust the sizing, but with an internal toggle it was impossible to use as a pocket which is our diaper preference. Your average One Size Diaper has a 3 snap rise option, the button hole elastic we are using in the current diaper design offers so much more flexibility without a ton of snaps on the front of your diaper. A huge plus in this house.
At the time I initially designed this diaper I didn't know that a button hole diaper was currently available on the market. The leg elastic system is much like that of the Fuzzibunz One Size diapers currently available, though the design of the diaper itself has several distinct differences that fit our personal needs and wants in a diaper.
I have many cute printed PUL (waterproof fabric) options available at the moment but chose to go ahead with a cute printed fleece on the inside of a plain white diaper. Using my time practically so that we get the most bang for our buck before Emma arrives!
This is the diaper all closed up ready for our little model to wake up from his nap and endure a photo shoot with Mommy! I actually got the sizing right just by guessing. Aiden is currently just under 27 months old, weighs 31 pounds give or take, and has a long torso and short legs. He still has room to grow in the new diaper!
Sadly I never got a picture of the diaper set for a little bitty one, I forgot. Oh well, I guess we will just have to post some pictures of our sweet Emma Grace modeling it once she arrives!
Aiden does not understand the need to be a diaper model, or for that matter to sit still for a picture at all. The only reason I got this "great" picture was because he was offered a diapered monkey.
In my humble opinion there is NOTHING cuter than a fluffy cloth booty!
Mr. Monkey was a much better model than Aiden ;) though that is not my diaper he is wearing.
All in all I am very happy with the results. It fits, it is cute, and it works for us! At the end of our diapering days with Aiden we are limited in what truly works for our very heavy wetter, and if it works I count it as a big success!!!
My total for supplies came to about $125, which is far more than I intended to spend on expanding our collection of diapers, but my Christmas money slipped away into cute prints that I seemed incapable of resisting. When I look at all I will get out of what I recycled from household use, and what I purchased the total to buy our newborn diapers and the new collection of pockets from the general market would have been just over $800. I think that is a GREAT deal my friends!
This is one happy Mamma ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment