I had my 26 week OB check up this morning, complete with the dreaded sugar test. The office turned their phones over yesterday before I could call and find out if I was supposed to eat or not. A fb status had me still questioning what my doctor would want. As I scurried to get ready this morning I waited on hold for 5 minutes before handing Shem the phone to wait on the line while I dried my hair so I wouldn't be late.
That was my first mistake.
In my hurry out the door with my cheese slice and nuts (they suggested I eat) I forgot to grab my cell phone, or my coat. This is the second time in a week I have forgotten my phone...pregnancy brain is not a myth folks!
Halfway to the OB the tire warning light came on just before the horrible thud sound that told me without a doubt I had a big BIG problem. As I feared it wasn't merely low but was resting on the rim and not drive-able.
In those heart sinking moments when I first realized I was stranded on the side of the road with no phone I began to panic. Yet the peace that passes all understanding washed over me as I prayed. I knew there was NOTHING I could do but trust God to send help, and to protect me along the way.
So I sat, and sat, and sat.
45 minutes later as the game of calling help to every passing cop began to get old I realized it was time to get out of the car. So I wrapped the red scarf around my neck that my husband had so sweetly left in the seat and out into the bitter wind this preggo went.
I decided to stand behind the car for 15 minutes (or until numb...don't forget I didn't have a coat!) before beginning to walk to the nearest interstate exit. No more than five minutes passed before a car pulled over.
Let me interject that I am NOT a trusting individual, especially with men.
Yet God gave me peace as this man I had never met offered help. It was soon discovered that we don't actually have a spare...seriously!!!! A short phone call had a tow on the way and the kind man drove me to my OB.
I still can't believe I got into a car with a stranger. Yet what option did I truly have? I guess in retrospect I could have waited the hour or so for the tow and taken a ride with them...but is that any less scary?
God gave me peace, in the moment I chose the best option I could think of, and God protected me along the way. I am so grateful for his protection, and for the kindness of a stranger.
"Lucky" me they were able to work me in for the sugar test I so dreaded. Let me just say that is NOT a fun experience either. As I sat waiting on Mimi to rescue me and take me to the auto shop I truly thought I would slump into the floor and start drooling. Sugar coma anyone? 8 hours later and I still feel awful, but I am safe and warm and our sweet ride has a new tire!!!!!
Oh, MAMA. I'm almost a little upset with you for getting into that car but then again, you had peace and were sort of in a tough situation! Glad you're safe and sound! Whew!
ReplyDelete