To say the last few days have been crazy and even at times stressful would be a gross understatement. I told Shem coming home that I had no expectations and we would adjust one day at a time as stress free as we possibly could.
Maybe I shouldn't have said NO expectations.
Our first evening home was pure bliss. There is a big brother living here who LOVES his "gra gra" and it is a precious thing to watch. I am sure we will run into little hurdles along the way as he adjusts but we are so grateful that for now he adores her.
Friday morning Emma Grace had a little check up on her jaundice level and we set out as a family of four having no idea what the next two days held.
Within an hour home health had made their way through the insane Derby traffic that surrounds our house this weekend to set up a light table for our sweet girl. Many tears were shed throughout the day as I stood by unable to hold and comfort her as she baked under the lamps we hoped would prevent a return trip to the hospital.
Eating has not gone well and is one of the big things that will help her jaundice level in addition to the lamps. I was nervously getting ready this morning for our return to the doctor for her recheck when I noticed the swelling. My calf ankle and foot were not as they should be, a problem I never dealt with in pregnancy.
Shem did a thorough check and feared I had a blood clot in my leg. Sometimes they clear sometimes they end up in your heart or lungs with deadly results. He didn't wait for the on call OB to call back before deciding we were headed to the hospital.
I was devastated because my girl needed her test and the opportunity to bake under her lamps. Let's not even talk about all the germs we exposed her to while there because it still freaks me out. As we headed out the door we talked to the pediatrician and had her testing moved to the hospital so we could be taken care of together. Shem made a flurry of calls to the hospital "higher ups" in perpetration for our arrival and all the potential outcomes of our trip. There have been so many times this week that I have been grateful for his job and the relationships he has that more than took care of us along each hurdle. I can never express my gratitude to those who went above and beyond in their care over us.
To finish out this very long story, hours after our arrival I was cleared to leave. I am in no danger though I do in fact have two "safe" blood clots in my right leg. They are superficial not deep vein clots and so should not cause me any life threatening harm. I will have another ultrasound on my leg next week to ensure nothing has changed or moved. God's protection over us in the last weeks has amazed me and this is certainly one of those things. I am so grateful to be home with my sweet family and not admitted to the hospital and fearing for my life. It certainly puts things in perspective. Bring on those night time feedings!!!!!
Emma Grace's jaundice levels came back lower and she has been released from her lamps and into pure sunshine and one happy Momma's arms! She has not been put down practically since we arrived home and the sweet snuggles have chased away the stress of the day!
I PROMISE pics and a "birth story" are coming very soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment