Parenting is hard work. Parenting a boy is hard work. Parenting a strong willed child, well it is hard work, just ask my mom! I like hard work. Sometimes.
Aiden is a loving, sweet, good little boy. We really are blessed beyond measure. Yet as all sinful creatures do, he has his moments. Moments when the toddler begins to emerge and he exerts his will even when he knows it is wrong. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking babies are innocent and without sin, whoever said that obviously hasn't spent any time with a toddler.
It is the look in his eyes, the silent reach for the "no no" while carefully watching for Momma's reaction. The quiet laugh as he is pulled away. There is no doubt in my mind that he KNOWS what he is doing is wrong, and does it anyway.
Last night we discovered that the parental distraction of a computer is in fact acknowledged by the child. He would stand and "discuss" things with us while we were focused on him. The minute we picked up the laptop he immediately started doing things he knew he wasn't supposed to do. We tested our theory several times without fail. I guess the books are right when they stress the word consistency. Consistency without distraction!
We try to be careful and keep him fed, and napping on schedule. Eliminate either of those things and he will melt down. So being wise with our time management proves to be a good parenting move. Still as he gains independence he likes to stretch his boundaries, at any time of day.
Today we implemented time out. He didn't like it.
Excuse me please as I go and google the sign for "I'm sorry Momma."
I hear ya, mama. Tonight was a trying evening in this house. N went to bed at 6:45 because of it ... and fell asleep within 5 minutes! We haven't done time out YET but I know it's coming in the not-too-distant future.
ReplyDelete