Enter the thrift store, oh happy day. It is like finding every brand of jean in one place, and they only cost 3 bucks! I lucked upon Ann Taylor, Lands End, and more this fall. The best part was that if they ended up not working as well as I liked I had only lost 3 bucks not 30 plus. I will never go back to the department store for jeans again.
Now that it is getting warmer I find myself pulling out my spring and summer clothes. Chasing a toddler all winter brought me down yet another pant size and lets just say my capri's will not be working for me this summer. Sigh. So I headed to the thrift store, 3 thrift stores later I had found one pair of capri's. So I hit the retail stores accepting that I would save my money in the fall and spend a little more in the summer.
Yet in the 7 stores I visited I found myself discouraged. When had they replaced women's shorts with something more appropriately put on my toddler. There was a shocking lack of fabric on their overpriced shorts. I did manage to find a pair of bermuda shorts at Old Navy for 25 bucks, though I didn't really like them. So the decision was made...
I treated myself to a new purse and fabric pencils. I am taking my winter jeans and performing surgery. I have said often that I wanted to pull out my sewing machine and start having some fun, so here I go. I will end up with "shorts" that actually fit a grown up, and will be much happier in the end. New purse, one pair of thrift store capri's, a little bit of time... and I completed my summer wardrobe for a mere 16 bucks and change. Yes please, and thank you.
AWESOME idea. I think I'm going to do the same ... learn how to use my sewing machine, cut my jeans off and turn them into capris/shorts ... and hopefully, by the time it's fall, I'll be in a smaller size and will need new long jeans! :) Thanks for the idea!
ReplyDeleteHemming should be fairly "easy", so it would be a great way to learn how to use your machine!
ReplyDelete