Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Update from the "trenches"

The title alone makes me laugh. Sorry. I am at the point of no return now.

My return trip to the doctor yesterday was and was not what I had anticipated. I knew from Shem's comments that I was not in the best place with my ankle but still didn't know what to expect as a next step. I actually saw a different doctor and to be honest I am glad. I asked him if I should have had stitches instead of the strips and he hemmed and hawed in a way that says well yes but I can't knock my fellow doctors decision. Oh well wisdom in retrospect I guess.

He pinched, pulled, prodded, stepped back to observe, and repeated often. Then he cleaned it OUCH and said I will be right back. WHAT? Seriously? Do they not know that mysteriously leaving the room makes a patient nervous? He came back and said okay this is what I am going to do (never a good sign). I am going to call my friend who is a general surgeon to see how to proceed from here. To decide if we send you to plastics or try other options.

ACK. I think I have handled this whole thing pretty well but when a potential for a plastic surgeon revision of my wound is tossed into the picture it does in fact become the final straw in my "steel resolve."

After what seemed like ten hours, translation ten minutes, he returned. It was decided for now that patience would be the game plan. The wound is not going to close anymore on its own but it is healing from the inside out. What that means is alot of time and a really gnarly scar. So I am couch bound for another 7 days in a an attempt to avoid a trip to the plastic surgeon.

Again, all from a DOOR.

So far Shem's schedule has cooperated and not had him working any two in a row shifts which means he is exhausted but available to be Mr. Mom. Yesterday that changed and I am officially on duty. Aiden cried when Shem left, I am pretty sure it was his plea to not be left alone with the deadbeat Momma.



I feel your pain buddy, really I do. I think the hardest part of this for me has been my inability to take care of him, to play with him, to live life with our normal routine. Yesterday the doctor asked me if I had been able to work. I told him I didn't work, that I stayed home with our toddler. I swear he got whiplash swinging his eyes towards mine. He asked but one question. How have you managed? I gave him the short version with a quiet chuckle and an honest "It has been interesting."

I skipped the part where I lay on the couch all day literally barricaded from destructive climbing monkey man. That we have watched an insane amount of tv. That I have to scoot chairs to the baby-gates simply to get into the kitchen for a sippy. How about the fact that my sweet boy has decided he cant go down the stairs by himself or that he has to go down like a big boy which scares us all, both scenarios leave him in my lap as we scoot down on our butts. Yeah life immobile with a toddler is an adventure for sure.

Soon. Soon I will be in the floor with you little monkey. I will play and chase and do all the things Mommy should do. I know you don't understand and I am so very sorry. I love you little buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...