Thursday, November 24, 2011

Going back to cloth...

I can't begin to describe how much I miss this...









To say that I love cloth diapers would be an accurate statement. One of the hardest decisions about our choice to do traveling nursing was that we would switch to disposable. I fought it in my head for weeks. Yet we had no idea what kind of bathrooms or laundry options we would have and at the time it just made sense. By the time our "year" of travel would end Aiden would be potty trained or close to it.

At the time I was purging the baby stuff from our home. Infertility was hitting hard once again and emotionally it was simply time to let go. Our diapers were one of those things. I hated to see them wasted, so we gave them away. While I don't regret that decision I do miss cloth desperately.

In preparation for the new baby I have begun researching cloth again. I loved the softbums (hoover for link)that we used with Aiden but Shem would like to look into other things as well. So we ordered the cloth diaper trial pack from Jillian's Drawers (hoover for link). For a deposit you can try many of the popular styles and brands and then return them in 21 days for a refund minus 10 bucks. AMAZING. My box of fluff is currently sitting in the Louisville post office, sadly it is a postal holiday, and I am pretty sure I would be in big trouble if I broke in.

Today I sat in Aiden's room trying to do the math and justify ordering our stash before the baby gets here. IF we potty train Aiden in the next 10 months, by the time the baby is 6 weeks old, target brand diapers will cost us $450.00.

GASP!!! I can buy pretty much any diaper system I want for less than that!

Here is the run down folks:

Newborn to 5 mths 18-24 diapers a day (2520 diapers)
5 mths to 1 year 12-18 diapers a day (2688 diapers)
1 year and up 8-12 diapers a day (4032 diapers to age 2.5)

Lets take the low estimates and say that you potty train by two and a half. Lets go with a 28 day week, and target brand diapers which average 17 cents across the different sizes. That is 9,240 diapers at 17 cents for a total of $1571.00 across the diapering lifetime of your child. The average high end, easy to use diaper system costs around $400.00 which is a saving of 1,171.00... yikes stripes!

That is just the money folks, don't forget the lack of late night diaper runs, or the pure cuteness factor on that little bum!



I could talk ALL DAY about cloth diapers, just ask Shem! If you want to read some awesome reviews check out the popular diaper pin (hoover for link) website or one of my good friends from college has an amazing blog (hoover for link) with reviews and giveaways too! Please excuse my jacked up links, I spent 30 minutes working on them and blogger is being crazy, now I am starving and I simply give up!

Okay I am done now. Well at least until that box arrives tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...