Monday, December 19, 2011

The PERFECT diaper...

I think I did it! I think I found the components of the perfect diaper. I am so excited I can hardly stand it. Hours of research, reviews, videos, and personal testing have given me little things about multiple diapers that I love, yet all falling short of perfect in some way. Now if I can just take the perfect dream floating in my head from theory to reality!!!!



This blog post will be intensely boring if you are not interested in cloth diapers. In reality this post is more for me than for you as readers. Preggo brain has set in hard and if it isn't on paper I will not remember. So here is my "pattern" if you will!

Part 1/2: Softbums (tab design and contoured bamboo inserts) www.softbums.com

Softbums have remained a leading contender as I really believe they are the only true one size diaper currently in existence. They now have pockets, but it is not their focus, and is a big thing we need in our new diapers. The tab style closure they use remains my favorite to this day. I also swear by their inserts! The contour and bamboo used in their inserts are still the only thing that have handled our super soaker!!! Luckily we have lots of them in our old stash :)

Part 3/4: Fuzzibunz (general size and buttonhole elastic) www.fuzzibunz.com

Out of our trial the Fuzzibunz was probably my favorite, for simplicity and ease of use. I like the general size of the Large we were sent and will probably use it for the sizing in my OS diaper. The new Fuzzibunz elite OS has not yet been released but I just saw a review and fell in love with the buttonhole elastic used in both the leg and the back for excellent sizing. This is very similar to our Softbums but they use a toggle which I wanted to avoid if I could find something that would give me the same true OS affect.

Part 5: KCK One Size (elastic back on both layers of pocket) www.kaylasclothkits.com

The KCK One size is the diaper pattern I attempted first. While in theory it was awesome there were many areas I felt it failed in for our family. I did however love that they put elastic in both the PUL outer and the fleece inner of the pocket. Extra containment and a cleaner design. It is the only diaper I have found with this design. Plus this diaper has what I will fondly refer to as "business on the outside, party on the inside" meaning that the outside is solid with a fun printed fleece inside. Good for those that want some fun but also a cleaner look.

Part 6: Curwhibbles (hidden PUL layer offers greater print flexibility)find them on fb

The Curwhibbles diaper hides their PUL between the fleece inner and a cotton print outer. I have never seen this but it opens up worlds of possibilities in adorable print design while allowing me to get more cuts out of a single cut of PUL without ordering multiple colors. You have to love savings and more design choices rolled into one! I probably won't do this on all my diapers as I am not sure how well it will hold up over time, but at around 4 bucks a diaper who doesn't want a special one for their birthday or other big events?!!!

Now I just have to take this awesome theory and make it a reality. At around 4 bucks a diaper I can do 4-5 test runs before I reach the price of a single pre-made pocket. Those diapers that don't reach perfection will of course still be usable, so truly money saved. LOVE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...