Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sometimes Reality Isn't So Pretty...

Operation "get out of the house" commenced several weeks ago when we realized we had a toddler with cabin fever. One car prevents Mommy from getting out with little man on the days Daddy works so we decided to become much more intentional about getting him out on the days Shem was home. One problem. It is winter. Winter with a toddler is a bit of a challenge, playgrounds are not really an option, and one can only make target trips every so often. Plus we don't "run" out much energy sitting in a shopping cart now do we?

Hence operation "reclaim the basement" is now in full swing. Our partially finished basement has seen its share of transition over the 2.5 years we have lived here. Last winter it was a beautiful retreat, a one year olds dream land if you will. Sadly after 20 minutes of searching I can't find the beautiful picture of the space that I am looking for. This is the only thing I found...



Trust me when I say that it was AWESOME. It took us a year and a half but we finally found the perfect set up. Daddy had his closet office, Mommy had a desk of sorts for crafting, and there was LOTS of space to play.

Connecticut changed us. Living with little became a life long goal for us. The plan was to purge the house in the 6 weeks we would be back between assignments. Then we got pregnant and plans changed. Our return found me on bed rest, and all of the things we had lived with for three months were shoved into the basement. Once I was up and about and my energy began to return the first goal was to clear some of the clutter from upstairs. Mind you it was clean, we had left it spotless, but there was simply too much stuff! So little by little stacks of things were taken to the basement. We are much happier upstairs, however the basement, well it hasn't faired so well.



Sometimes reality isn't so pretty!

Yup, I did it, I showed you the truth. Excuse me as I go hang my head in shame. It is worse than awful. It is a disheveled storage unit at best. It makes me so very sad. Yet I am conquering it one nap time session at a time! What you see is actually hours of work and "organized chaos." You know the kind that happens when you literally have to pull everything out to get it under control. Sigh. The goal is to be able to play down there by Christmas. It will NOT happen, but goals are good. Mommy and Daddy are getting a new bed shortly after Christmas and to put it in our room we have to be able to maneuver things into the basement as the bed will fill our tiny room. So deadlines have been set, and we all know that in this house deadlines make it happen.

For now I will take it one nap at a time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...