Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A never ending battle...

In light of tomorrow's big gender reveal my 23 week preggo post is being postponed.

So we can talk about sleep. Or the lack thereof.

Some people can easily say that their baby/babies slept through the night at 6ish weeks. My mom is one of those people. I DON'T want to hear about it. No offense, but it makes me want to cry.

Our nights more often look like this...



Leaving a somehow bushy eyed little man in the morning, and a half passed out parent desperate for a few more minutes rest...



Neither Shem or I do well on little sleep. Yet that has been reality here for the last 2 years. How I pulled all nighters in college is beyond me. My last semester of college found me insanely close to 20 hours, some of which were independent studies. Needless to say I didn't sleep much. Yet I am OLDER now, and struggle greatly when I don't get to sleep.

While he has given us brief glimpses of what I desperately hope our future holds (aka a whole night of sleep) they have been brief glimpses. He has no trouble going to sleep (unless we travel) it is staying asleep that is a BIG problem. These days it is only once or twice a night most nights, then we have occasional nights like last night when NO ONE sleeps AT ALL. As in we slept till 1 am and then cried and snoozed for a few, then screamed some more. One of us was up all night.

It is said that pregnant women should sleep more. Yet when you factor in a "baby" who doesn't sleep plus all the pregnancy issues that keep you up I would admit my sleep has pretty much been cut in half since I became pregnant.

Preparation for a newborn?

We wouldn't trade one sleepless night for the time we have with our precious boy. Yet it is our great hope that one day we will sleep again. It is also one of our biggest prayers for the new baby. P.L.E.A.S.E. S.L.E.E.P.

Haha now I might need to wake my slumbering hubby before lunch :)

1 comment:

  1. Just some thoughts - figured I'd throw them out there.

    Could it be the food he's eating for dinner and it's messing with his tummy or causing bad dreams? Maybe try blander or more starchy food in the evenings? Also, N usually has a small bedtime snack of crackers or pretzels with milk because she eats dinner so early. Maybe he's hungry in the middle of the night? I realize we'll have to change this when we start potty training. :)

    What about any weird shadows in his room, if he has a night light? Could be that he's waking up and seeing them and then is awake and freaks out?

    Does he sleep with a stuffed animal? That has helped N tremendously - just one, though, because she'll make them play together if not. ;) She will fall asleep with it in the corner of her crib and when I see her wake up on the monitor, she'll be holding it so she must get it at some point in the night.

    Just ideas. :) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...