I have been concerned about Aiden's speech since his 15 month appointment when the pediatrician said if he wasn't talking by 18 months he would be put in therapy. Mimi met a speech therapist shortly after who said not to be concerned just yet. Apparently they do their initial testing around 20 months and the rule of thumb is 20 words by 20 months. So we still had some time.
At his 18 month appointment we counted 8 words he had said at least once. So therapy was put on the back burner, and I took a sigh of relief. Since then he has stopped saying most of those words. The only word he says clearly is bye bye. There are 2 or 3 more that we as his parents understand. He has not progressed but instead regressed, I am indeed worried.
The milestone trackers are talking about putting together sentences and expressing feelings. They say a 20 month old can learn 10 new words A DAY.
We are no where near those milestones.
There is nothing I can do except continue to talk to him and read with him. That and look into his sweet face and know that even if he never talks I will love him all the same.
Remember how my pediatrician got me into a tizzy over N's walking? If she wasn't walking by 15 months, she was going to need to be evaluated? Guess who didn't make a 15 month appointment? ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm not recommending that ... I'm just saying that the "milestones" that are "average" make us mamas with kids who have something else in mind worry and fret like crazy. I made a comment to someone that N was a "late walker" and my mom actually got mad at me because she may have been older when she started walking but she had it mastered almost from the get-go because she took her time, cruising and building up her strength.
So, I'm not saying don't worry (because we know that's impossible as mamas) but I'm saying breathe a little bit because he will start talking when he wants to. He may only have a few words one day and be a chatterbox the next, just like N was with her walking. :)
As always, praying!