Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Flexible Life...

Traveling has and will continue to offer us the opportunity to live a flexible life. Sometimes this will be a joy in that we can choose to have adventures in places we might not have had the opportunity to visit otherwise. There is another aspect of this adventure that will stretch us in ways we might not have chosen for ourselves. We could find ourselves in less than ideal housing, or in an area of town we are not comfortable with. It is those moments that will force us to be flexible and realize that this is what memories are made of, this is the adventure we have chosen.

We have had a few flexible moments here in Hartford Connecticut already. Thankfully nothing major to overcome as we attempt to learn how this whole thing will work.

I am directionally challenged and it only took one day to realize that this may in fact be my biggest hurdle to overcome at each new location. When I say that the roads around Hartford are wretched it is an understatement. They have all these little round a bout (?) things that leave you spinning and unsure exactly where you are supposed to be going. GPS loves the lack of time allowed to provide the next direction, and apparently has no clue what the true road names around here are. Sunday's jaunt to the hospital after church left me with a tight chest and panic in my eyes. We survived though, and I will simply have to remember that turning around is okay and that I need to allow myself a little (translate a TON) extra time to get where I am going.

The apartment we are in is almost identical to the town house we lived in before we bought our house two years ago. I think it has helped the transition to be in a place that might be states away but still somehow seems familiar. There are still kinks to work out but we will figure it out one day at a time. The "entertainment center" is more of an ancient tv cart leftover from someones college days. There is NOTHING wrong with that, I had one almost just like it, but when you have a toddler who is curious it greatly complicates things. We are on set up number three and as I type this I realize monkey has electronics in his little hands and set up number four is right around the corner. We currently have the tv cart angled and stacked on top of the coffee table in an attempt to put things out of reach and I am not sure how much higher it can get haha!

As we learn to be flexible, to live within our means with the things provided, and to get creative I hope we always take the time to enjoy the quiet moments. To make the memories that will last forever. I hope we always enjoy chilling on the couch as a family taking silly pictures...











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...