You make a mistake.
If you are not content with what you have,
you would not be satisfied if it were doubled.
--Charles Haddon Spurgeon
One of the things that spurred us to take on this traveling adventure was the desire for a more simple style of living. Before you say it, I know, it sounds crazy. We needed a drastic breath of fresh air. We had become overwhelmingly bogged down with the mass quantity of material possessions surrounding us.
I have been an organizer since my teens. I love to move because it forces me to get rid of things and start with a clean slate. I was also sentimental and held onto silly things. Emphasis should be placed on the word was, for I have learned, and am still learning, to be sentimental about memories without holding onto things.
We live in an age of materialism like no generation before us. We want to keep up with the Jones' and often base our self worth on the things we posses.
We are SICK of this mentality.
So we decided it was time for a change. A big one. So we sorted through the things we would "need" and left our home with 5 large rubber-maids, 2 small ones, and a few random bags. That is it. The funny things is we are doing JUST FINE.
See life does not require the mass of things we think we need.
A one year old does NOT need that many toys. Aiden is happy with the one rubbermaid of toys he currently plays with. We are happy not surrounded by mass quantities of things. Life is simpler when you don't spend so much time taking care of and cleaning the things that surround you. I can clean this apartment from top to bottom AND dust and vacuum in just over an hour. Not several days, not a weekend marathon, ONE HOUR.
To say that my stress level is decreased would be an understatement. Yes, I will be excited for our time back home, but to be honest I am dreading being faced with all the stuff in our house. At this point, a mere 3 weeks in, there is no going back. Life when we return, even if it is for a short duration, will be different. We plan to sell/donate/throw out much of what we own. For we know now that we don't need it, and we don't even want it.
For you see, we have found freedom, freedom in simplicity.
"I have been an organizer since my teens. I love to move because it forces me to get rid of things and start with a clean slate." I could have typed that statement! I'm the same way and recently, the hubs & I have been discussing the ridiculous amount of toys that N has. RIDICULOUS. So, we're going to start sorting soon.
ReplyDeleteAmen, sister friend, amen.
Hope y'all have a lovely weekend!