Saturday, July 23, 2011

Movies and Myths...

I love to sneak away to the movies by myself. Like LOVE it. I do not enjoy sitting in a restaurant by myself, in fact I refuse to do it. Yet there is something about the dark quiet theater and the alone time that beckons me.

In Louisville when Shem had days off I tried to sneak away for a few hours about once a week. Most of the time it was just groceries and errands but I did love to indulge in the occasional movie. Now granted we had an amazingly clean and comfy discount theater where I could score the "latest" flicks for 2 bucks.

Entering new territory can be interesting in many ways. Movie theater locations certainly proved to be one of them. Having no idea of the various areas in town I set out on my first real "alone time" adventure today. I ran a few errands and caught a movie. Being that I had no clue where said theater was I used my friendly GPS as a guide. It took me here...



That was as close to the abandoned shopping center as I got. The cringe on my face was deep and I contemplated turning around. Yet around the corner I found this...



Yikes. Then tada there it was...



It took me a few minutes to recover from the "fear" and decide if I was getting out of my car. Yet looking around the cars were all nice and the people we are all cute and old and not scary at all. So I ventured out and braved the theater.

There is something about questionable areas of town in a place you aren't familiar with that make them sooooo much scarier. Our church in Louisville is in one of the worst areas of town. We knew that when we joined. The community impact is great and it is one of the things we love about the church. Yet it doesn't scare me. Why? It is home.

I came to the conclusion today that in our travels I should stick with the full price theaters that tend to be in a better area of town and scope it out before venturing there solo. The thing about theaters here is they all seem to show only four or five movies so you have to find the theater showing what you want. It is very confusing to say the least.

Now for the myth...

We are from Alabama, deep South people. It is a well known "fact" that Northerners are just rude and don't show the hospitality you find in the South. At least in Hartford we are not finding that to be truth. For now, myth busted! The employees at that theater were sooooo nice, as are the grocery cashiers, and people we meet out and about. I just don't know where the concept comes from. Maybe we just aren't far enough North, or maybe all of ya'll Southerners spreading the rumors are just crazy!

I won't be venturing back to that theater, but the adventure was a memory for sure. I am happy to say that I was in no way harmed by my adventure and am happily back safe and sound in my little "home" away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...